Hiring a Nicols boat for a boating holiday in the Aquitaine provides a one-of-a-kind opportunity for bringing the whole family together. Starting from our base at Buzet-sur-Baïse you’ll come across numerous attractions and activities suitable for the whole crew – both young and old!
A tourist train ride through the country of King Albret
During the months of April to October there is small tourist train that runs between the pretty medieval cities of Nérac and Mezin. This tour is a great way to see the area and experience the second longest tunnel in France (for a tourist train!) which stands at 1,237 metres long between Lamothe and Douazan.
Discover the beautiful flora and fauna of the Aquitaine
On the Garonne Canal heading towards Montech:
The more active amongst you should visit Agrip'Aventure for a tree top assault course in the heart of the forest at Montech. Tackle more than 120 obstacles - suitable for the whole family with activities available for those 3 years old and up.
For a slower paced family walk then discover the exotic greenhouse of "Domaine du Gazania" at Labastide du Temple. Explore over 900 square metres of tropical plants and water features that are home to various species of beautiful multi-coloured birds.
Heading towards Bordeaux along the Garonne Canal:
If your children are budding bird-watchers then we recommend you visit the National Nature Reserve at Mazière. This huge etang (pond) is located less than 2km from the canal if you moor your Nicols canal barge at Villeton. In the summer months guided tours are available but make sure you book in advance as they are extremely popular.
Navigation on the River Baïse:
The animals are the star of the show at the Ferme on Scene, an educational and fun farm attraction at Valence-sur-Baïse. Just a short bike ride from the canal, visitors will meet sheep, goats, donkeys, rabbits, chickens and ponies. Children can participate in workshops showing how to care for the animals or enjoy a pony ride.
Family visits to the land of King Henry IV and the musketeer D’Artagnan
Welcome to the lands of King Henry IV and D’Artagnan and a past of cloaks and swashbuckling!
In Condom, at Saint Peter’s square you can find an imposing bronze statue of the famous Athos, Porthos, Aramis and D'Artagnan. Young readers or viewers of the Three Musketeers will meet their heroes! Take part in a musketeers themed treasure hunt across the city with a guided tour and riddles for the whole family to solve. This runs every Thursday at 10am during the months of July and August.
In Nerac families can head to the castle of King Henry IV and the Royal Park Garenne that is close by. Built between the fourteenth and sixteenth century by the lords Albret, the castle would become a residence of the future king of France. Kids can take part in a fun discovery treasure hunt.
Swimming and watersports in Aquitaine
If your children enjoy life in and on the water then the good news is that the Aquitaine has plenty of places that are fun and safe:
- Lud’o Parc in Nérac: with its large play pool, water slides, bubble benches, water games, rocky lagoon – all in the style of Roman ruins – will appeal to both parents and children.
- Aqualand in Agen: the former Walibi has been transformed to become Aqualand – a huge 1600 square metre wave pool with numerous water slides, one of which is 20 metres high!
- Also discover more swimming pools and watersports centres at Golfech, Condom and Moncrabeau.
Events and festivals for the family all year long!
During the summer and indeed throughout the year, the towns and villages of the Aquitaine region come alive with events and festivals. Here is just a taste of the many experiences to enjoy with your family during your boating holiday:
- Le Pruneau Show in Agen: during the last weekend of August the city of Agen celebrates its famous prunes with a three day festival. Enjoy free tastings, concerts, street shows and entertainment. Plenty to enjoy for the whole family...even if you don’t like prunes!
- Fest’Abuzet: this annual festival takes place in mid-July and is a celebration of the vine growers of Buzet. There is free entertainment all day with a fireworks display bringing the day to a close.
- Canal en Scène à Valence d’Agen: taking place in mid-August in Agen this festival showcases dance, circus acts, theatre, comedy and music over a number of nights.
- Le Festival Européen des bandas in Condom: for the second weekend in May the historic centre of Condom bursts with the sound of brass and percussion music with bands from all over Europe taking part.
- Le Festival des Menteurs in Moncrabeau: On the first Sunday in August the city of Moncrabeau elects the king of liars! A tradition that has lasted over forty years, the Festival of Liars sees entrants compete to tell the best story – ardently misrepresenting the truth – within the 5 minute time limit.
In addition to being an ideal family holiday destination there are many other great reasons why you should consider hiring a canal boat for a boating holiday in Aquitaine. Check out our other articles below:
- Excellent Aquitaine gastronomy and wines explained
- Explore the history and heritage of the Aquitaine